Bob is based in St. Louis, MO and works with clients on the development of courtroom themes and witness preparation in both civil and criminal cases. He identifies key educational and emotional elements of a case to create compelling case narratives. He consults on witness order and content to ensure maximum storytelling impact. Bob has also assisted numerous clients in developing multi-media mediation presentations that are designed to expose the weaknesses of the other side’s case and motivate opposing decision makers to be more flexible in the negotiation process. Clients have often called on Bob to present the opposing case for mock trials. At last count, he has worked in 126 separate venues spread across 34 states and the District of Columbia.
Bob began his legal consulting career in the 1990s with the Los Angeles County Attorney’s Office, Hardcore Gang Unit. While there, he trained attorneys in courtroom communication skills and assisted the attorneys with argument preparation and courtroom presence. Bob is the author of the book, 101 Quick Courtroom Tips for Busy Lawyers.
- BGS, Foreign Studies/Russian, University of Missouri – Columbia
Articles & Presentations
- Gerchen, R. (2019). Ask the Experts: Ethical Dilemmas Panel. ASTC 38th National Conference, St. Louis, MO.
- Gerchen, R. (2019). Why So Many Mediations Fail, and How You Can Up Your Success Rate. Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2017). How Long Should Closing Arguments Last in Trial? Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2016) Disappearing Civil Trial Panel, Panel Member. ASTC 35th Annual National Conference, Redondo Beach, CA.
- Gerchen, R. (2015). How Do I Avoid Poisoning the Jury Pool? Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2015). How Long Should Opening Statements in a Trial Last? Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). How to Get the Judge to Accept a Supplemental Juror Questionnaire. Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). How to Help a Jury Understand Complex Litigation. Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). Finding Value in Trial Consulting Services: It’s Not about Price. Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). Making the Most of Voir Dire When You’ve Got 15 Minutes. Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). Why Didn’t My Witness Do What I Told Him to Do during Witness Preparation? Insights.
- Gerchen, R. (2014). Juror Tendencies and Jury De-Selection Considerations in Insurance Cases.
Prepared for IA-NE International Association of Special Investigation Units Annual Meeting, Ankeny, IA.